6/16/11

Victor Denfrey Steele Impressionism ~ No Hard Edges

Victor Denfrey Steele
Next time you are in a gallery or museum take pause when viewing Impressionistic portraiture.  If you are not an artist and new to viewing art, here is an example of what to look for in this style painting. 

Click on this first image, it will enlarge and you will easily see what Impressionism is all about, there are no hard lines. 
Note the edge of ballerina Buffy Miller's leotard;  soft, not a hard line against the light blue background.  Note her skin against the background; soft, not a hard line against the background.  Paint is applied gently by rocking the edge of the loaded paintbrush back and forth along an edge.  
Victor Denfrey Steele
 Next view the lower image and note how the entire painting views at a distance.  Clearly there are no hard edges in the entire painting, including where the floor in the background meets the wall. 
I adore this painting, one by my dad, for its great examples of composition, value and ~ soft edges. 

6 comments:

Candace X. Moore said...

Great post, Tina. Your dad was an accomplished artist. It must be wonderful to have that legacy always present.

Living in Art said...

Oh, Candace, thank you, your words I appreciate more than you know.

Unknown said...

I adore this painting also..

rjerdee said...

Impressionism is still my favorite style of painting to view...I never grew past it...although I confess to liking Motherwell and Agnes Martin...

Living in Art said...

Charlene, thank you, I figured you would like this one!!! kisskiss Hoping your summer has been good, I was in AL recently, my grandmother passed at 94, my home still feels like Alabama.

Becky, I can see Martin regarding you, but not so much Robert, but I learned something today, good to know.

RHurst said...

That is an amazing work of art. The lines are so soft, yet distinct. I am an artist myself working on ballet dancers in leotards, this painting certainly inspires me to do my best.