5/4/11

Tina Steele Lindsey on Drawing Gauguin


Tina Steele Lindsey

I drew Paul Gauguin from a photograph taken of him in Paris in 1894, from the book Gauguin, by Lesley Stevenson this morning while having coffee.   Black and white photographs are fabulous to draw from as light and dark values are so obvious.  For me my goal in a drawing is to capture the likeness and mood over perfection in realism, although the latter always a plus.  This was a quick study done with water soluble graphite pencil 
 

Gauguin - Paris 1894

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a crush on you.

TSL @ Living In Art said...

I am going to guess you are messing with me ;) - probably a Lancer chum, yes?

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what Lancer is. No, incorrect. Just have a crush on you, your work.

TSL @ Living In Art said...

Well, then, honored, thank you very much.

becky said...

Lovely drawings, my dear...no wonder someone has a crush on you:)

TSL @ Living In Art said...

Becky, hee-hee. BTW - you will be glad to know you inspired my fitness routine - thx!

Charlene said...

IT'S NICE FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU ISN'T IT... I love your sketches and have missed seeing your art works lately...

TSL @ Living In art said...

Thank you, Charlene, I've been crazy busy, and I haven't kept up with anyone! Feeling poorly about that!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

You have totally captured his emotion. Your work is inspiring!

TSL @ Living In Art said...

Laura, I so appreciate your visit here time and again, I know you've been super busy, thanks for your words.

design elements said...

I don't know what Lancer is....beautiful drawing!

TSL @Living In Art said...

Design Elements - thank you for your visit here, I am honored to be acquainted online with you!